Keychain information, tips and tricks
Here are some interesting and useful Keychain information, tips and tricks:
Here’s some nifty keychain information including a tip or trick regarding locking your screen using Keychain status menu bar item. A really nifty way to lock a Mac’s screen is to append your Keychain status to the menu bar in OS X. Here are simple and easy steps on how to successfully set this up:
- Launch Keychain Access app found in the Utilities folder or press shift/cmd/U in the Finder
- Choose Keychain Preferences via the Keychain Access menu, next to the Apple menu
- Check the ‘Show keychain status in menu bar’ under the General tab
- A black padlock icon now appears in the main menu bar near the Wi-Fi menu which you can click on and choose to “Lock Screen”
The screen is unlocked after entering your account password.
What is the keychain?
The keychain in Mac OS X is Apple’s password management system. A keychain can store all your passwords for applications, servers, and websites, or even sensitive information unrelated to your computer, such as credit card numbers or personal identification numbers (PINs) for bank accounts.
Reset your password
If you don’t remember your password, or it isn’t working, you might be able to reset it using one of the methods described below. But first try these simpler solutions:
- Make sure that you’re typing the correct uppercase or lowercase characters. If your keyboard has Caps Lock turned on, the password field shows a Caps Lock symbol .
- If the password field shows a question mark, click it to display a password hint that might help you to remember.
- Try to log in without a password. If that works, you can then add a password by following the steps to change your password.
- Try to log in with the Apple ID password that you use for iCloud. If you just changed that password and the new password isn’t working, try the old password first. If that works, you should be able to use the new password from then on.
Do you have a Keychain problem?
Keychain problems appear if a mismatch in user login passwords and stored keychain password occurs. If you encounter issues with Keychain Access here is a great source of information at the Apple Support site. If you need help with any Mac OSX related problem MacEmergency are available to advise and assist you:
08448 121 999